Friday 19 October 2012

Pinteresting...

Ok so this post is not about fobs or my mom, but I just really wanted to make a commentary on a website who's concept I simply cannot endorse.

The website I'm talking about is none other than your friendly neighbourhood Pinterest. I guess the concept sounds reasonable enough on paper. You "pin" things from the internet on "boards", if I am not mistaken. People then see the things you've "pinned" and they themselves can "re-pin" the articles which you so lovingly "pinned" in the first place, thus generating an ever-convoluted web of "pins". Sounds pretty good, right?

So I signed up for this Pinterest thing because all my friends were like "OH MY GAH, Pinterest!", but to tell you the truth, I haven't really made it much farther than that. When I see "pins" on my facebook feeds all I can think of is "WTF is the purpose of Pinterest above and beyond what can be accomplished by facebook?" Obviously this Pinterest business is way over my head.

While I may not fully understand Pinterest, I have noticed a certain demographic of Pinterest users emerging from the patterns of precisely placed pins I see on facebook. This may help to explain why I just cannot bring myself to jump on the pin-wagon (aside from being vertically challenged).

Below are a list of the different types of people who, I believe, dominate the world of Pinterest:

  1. Brides
  2. People who cook/bake
  3. People who like to booze
  4. Fashionable people
  5. People who actually try and do their hair and make-up
  6. Interior decorators
  7. Teachers
  8. People with ovaries

Now, while I technically fall into one of the categories listed above (No. 8), I think you need at least two before you can actually know how to navigate their website.


Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bad-mouth Pinterest or anything. I'm sure that there must be some form of implicit benefit to "pinning" if jillions of "pinheads" are doing it. I am just stupid, is all. That's probably why I simply don't get it. I guess you could say I'm just not "pinterested"... (no?)


  http://pinterest.com/about/

Now if pinning things could get me discounts on said things then I would be all over that!



No comments:

Post a Comment