Tuesday 27 March 2012

Lin's Fortune


Ok so maybe I'm a bit late with this one but I'll post it anyways.

Last month, the media was totally gripped with Linsanity. For those of you who don't know, Jeremy Lin is a Taiwanese basketball player for the NY Knicks who has recently been getting a lot of attention for his athletic prowess. While most of the coverage has been positive, a lot of news articles had somewhat of a “racist” angle to them. It wasn’t the article itself that was racist, but rather the article was calling out certain headlines, pictures, and remarks for being racist. One of the articles I read was about a “distasteful” picture made by a fan of Lin which was aired by MSG.


Jeremy Lin
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-57379127-10391697/msg-airs-jeremy-lin-fortune-cookie-sign/



Now personally, I don't find this picture to be offensive… but who am I to say? I'm only HALF Chinese and I was born and raised in white-breadmonton.

So I asked a few of my Chinese friends to get their thoughts. They all shared the same sentiments as me, but again, they are born and raised bananas... so I still couldn’t draw any conclusions.

Then, it dawned on me. To determine if this picture is truly offensive, I should ask none other than my mother dearest!

I showed her the picture and asked "Mom, does this offend you in any way?" to which she replied "No... the Knicks ARE lucky!"

*face palm*

I think it’s safe to say that this picture is NOT offensive to Chinese people...

No comments:

Post a Comment